[GRASS-user] r.watershed

Mark Seibel mseibel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 15:42:58 PST 2017

Hi Shane.

I'm happy to report that I've modeled overland water flow with r.watershed
for over a quarter million acres, consisting of several large project
sites, at 1 meter DEM resolution. The data source was LiDAR points to make
the DEMs.

At this resolution, it becomes necessary to add culverts, or other
artificial flow control features, to achieve water flowing through a road.
Otherwise, water is routed along roads until a lowest point is reached for
crossing.

I also use r.terraflow outputs as ancillary data to help drop in culvert
locations and help provide guidance in problem areas.

My geographic area is central Florida, which is very flat and full of
topographic depressions known as wetlands. These depressions interrupt the
stream network continuity in reality, but r.watershed does a fantastic job
making a continuous drainage network model, especially in these difficult
areas.

Happy Modeling!

Mark