[GRASS-user] r.watershed

Mark Seibel mseibel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 05:03:00 PST 2017

Hi Shane.

How did you add culverts or other artificial flow control features to
achieve water flowing through roads?

Culverts can be added by digitizing the connection points (line) across the
road from high accumulation to high accumulation on the other side of the
road. It can be a long iterative process, that can be encapsulated in a
script. I've wondered if machine learning could be used to automate what
seems to be such repetitive and easy culvert connections.

> Also, why is sink filling needed for terraflow and not watershed?
>
> I am not into the code, but I know r.watershed use different code to
produce different model results. r.watersheed seeks the lowest points in
the terrain, thus internal sinks get modeled with exit points rather than
internally drained. On the other hand, r.terraflow hydrologically fills the
terrain, then models flow accumulation. The results are similar, but the
differences can be used to add another check on reality from another model;
especially in really flat, depressional terrains.

Mark