[GRASS-user] Copy and concatenate a vector attribute between layers

Peter Tittmann ptittmann at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 14:00:59 PST 2017

Thank you both for your suggestions. I found another way around this. My goal was to generate a topologically valid vector (POLYGON) layer containing stand as a predicate of strata (all stands exist within a strata, no stand overlaps strata). To achieve this, I used v.what.rast using centroid after converting the strata raster to polygons with the strata as a mask. Then I remove the mask and patch all the strata polygons with stand attributes together to create a table containing all strata.

pseudocode:

for all S in STRATA:
	create mask using S
	r.to.vect area — a polygon layer reflecting stands within the strata
	v.db.acccolumn ‘strata’ — create a new column to store strata values
	v.what.rast raster=STRATA — add the strata attribute to the polygon

v.patch all S from above..

Now I have another issue, though. Will post to a different thread.

Thank you again,

Peter