[GRASS-user] rgrass7: writeRAST fails with large rasters

Scott Morford smorford at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 07:34:18 PDT 2017

I have a large raster (~2 GB) that I'm trying to export to grass from R
(3.4.1) using the rgrass7 (0.1-9) library:

    writeRAST(
        as(raster("dinf_slope.tif"),"SpatialGridDataFrame"),
        "slope.r",
        flags=c("overwrite")
    )

The operation fails and throws the following error:

    Error in writeBin(z, con = f, size = sz) :

    only 2^31-1 bytes can be written in a single writeBin() call

I get the same error if I attempt to export a SpatialGridDatatFrame object
directly, so I don't believe the problem is with the raster library.

I receive the same error in Ubuntu and Windows 10.

How can I use writeRAST to export large rasters to grass?

Cross posted to stack exchange (https://goo.gl/5bBmV3)