[GRASS-user] Edited vector map in GUI digitizer; no changes apparent

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jun 8 06:33:08 PDT 2017

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Micha Silver wrote:

> I think you'll have to convert the boundary to a line first, with v.type.
> Then edit the line. (Similar to what Helmut suggested previously)

Micha,

   I should have provided an update to this thread and apologize for not
doing so. Because modification of the road area to a single line was not
working for me I created a new map in the GUI vector editor by digitizing
a line over the area's edge. This new map, 'cutline,' is a single line, not
a boundary, as confirmed by v.info.

   This still leaves the issue of overlaying the line on the area in such a
way that the area is divided in two parts (v.overlay is not doing the job or
I'm not correctly specifying the command), then rasterizing the two adjacent
areas so each can have a separate value in each cell. The former task is
where I'm stuck. I assume that for the latter task I can run v.to.rast twice
and produce new maps, e.g., 'upper' and 'lower', then use the GII digitizer
to remove all unwanted cells prior to setting values then pasting the two
parts back together.

Regards,

Rich