[GRASS-user] A GRASS approach for modelling forest line

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Tue Jun 13 04:19:43 PDT 2017

Dear all,

Zofie and me are trying to mode altitude of forest line in GRASS and R.

We have a couple of 100k pixels that we assume to represent forest line and now want to explain their altitude with explanatory variables (terrain, temperature, precipitation and the like). In a next step we want to use projected data (climate scenarios) in the model in order to predict possible effects of climate change. But now we are a bit unsure about what modeling technique to use.

Our data to be modeled is zero-inflated (from 0 - ~1150m) with a significant amount of spatial autocorrelation. And also the explanatory variables are spatially auto-correlated and have a lot of collinearity.
We have been looking at (amongst others):

-          Regression kriging, but we have doubts that R will be able to handle the amount of data (even on a high-mem server), pluss that we are unsure if we can replace current with future climate in such a model

-          GLS, but also here we face problems with excessive resource consumption in R for e.g. accounting for spatial autocorrelation

Handle r.regression.multi or r.gwr those issues?
Can anyone recommend other types of models that can handle spatial autocorrelation and multicolinearity?
We would be glad for any hint on where to look for more information (articles, textbooks...)?

Cheers
Stefan