[GRASS-user] How to use a mask with v.surf.idw ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Jun 21 07:33:16 PDT 2017

On 21/06/17 16:17, Luí­s Moreira de Sousa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to know how to use a mask with the v.surf.idw module. I
> have tried using r.mask with both raster and vector maps, but v.surf.idw
> always produces a surface encompassing the entire region [0].
>
> Is there any other way of forcing this module to operate within an area
> of interest?

As explained in [1]: "Raster input maps are automatically masked if a
raster map named MASK exists. The MASK is only applied when reading maps
from the disk."

This means that the output of v.surf.idw will always cover the entire
computational region. If you want to create a map with null values
outside the mask, you can use r.mapcalc "masked_map = interpolated_map"
while the mask is active.

Moritz

[1] https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/rasterintro.html