[GRASS-user] Image segmentation to separate object from background

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 06:01:58 PDT 2017

Hi GRASS users,

has anyone of you tried to use GRASS image tools (e.g. segmentation etc) to
identify an object in a picture. For example I have multiple photos of fish
and would like to separate the fish from its background in an automatized
way. The images look like:

http://fishbase.org/photos/PicturesSummary.php?ID=4730&what=species
http://fishbase.org/photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=
0&ID=4662&what=species&TotRec=5

So what I already know apriori: I would like two final classes (fish and
background), the fish is more or less centred within each picture, and
there is only one fish in each picture. I played already around with
i.segment but the results are not yet satisfying.

Any ideas?

/johannes