[GRASS-user] Image segmentation to separate object from background

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Jun 26 07:32:22 PDT 2017

* Moritz Lennert <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> [2017-06-26 15:38:53 +0200]:

>On 26/06/17 15:01, Johannes Radinger wrote:
>> Hi GRASS users,
>>
>> has anyone of you tried to use GRASS image tools (e.g. segmentation etc)
>> to identify an object in a picture. For example I have multiple photos
>> of fish and would like to separate the fish from its background in an
>> automatized way. The images look like:
>>
>> http://fishbase.org/photos/PicturesSummary.php?ID=4730&what=species
>> <http://fishbase.org/photos/PicturesSummary.php?ID=4730&what=species>
>> http://fishbase.org/photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=0&ID=4662&what=species&TotRec=5
>> <http://fishbase.org/photos/PicturesSummary.php?StartRow=0&ID=4662&what=species&TotRec=5>
>>
>> So what I already know apriori: I would like two final classes (fish and
>> background), the fish is more or less centred within each picture, and
>> there is only one fish in each picture. I played already around with
>> i.segment but the results are not yet satisfying.
>
>You will certainly have to go through a classification phase:
>oversegment the image and then classify the resulting segments as fish
>or non-fish. Probably results will be better if you classify into more
>non-fish classes which you can then merge at the end.
>
>Currently, we don't have semantic segmentation in GRASS GIS, i.e.
>segmentation that "recognizes" real objects and it is difficult to get
>complete real objects just through the segmentation methods we have
>(check i.segment, i.superpixels.slic, but also edge detection, such as
>i.zc).
>
>For real semantic object recognition, neural network approaches seem the
>way to go today, so you might want to look into those.
>
>Moritz

I was looking for, similarly, last week. What is the status of:

- ann.create; ann.info; ann.data.rast; ann.learn; ann.run.rast? See doi:10.4172/2329-6755.1000145
- see also related reference about "ann.*" at https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/AddOns
  -- link is "broken".
- http://www.uam.es/proyectosinv/Mclim/pdf/MBenito_EcoMod.pdf: broken
  linke reference in our wiki