[GRASS-user] manually selecting a region

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Mar 7 01:11:47 PST 2017

On 06/03/17 18:24, Ken Mankoff wrote:
> Does "d.where" work for others? I've tested it on OS X GRASS 7.2 and
> Linux GRASS 7.0.4 and I receive no feedback when I run the program.​

AFAIK, d.where does not allow direct interaction with the display
anymore. It "just" takes screen coordinates and outputs them as map
coordinates. In GRASS 6 you could get the screen coordinates by clicking
on the d.mon display, but in GRASS 7 this is handled by the GUI (g.gui
or d.mon wx*). In other words you chose the GUI interrogation tool and
when you click on the monitor, it launches d.where and you get the
coordinates. You can ask for these coordinates to be redirected to the
console.

I agree that the current solution is not ideal. For example, it is not
straightforward how to collect the info into a file. Also: the output is
not really as machine-parsing friendly as it could.

See https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3310 and add to it if you think
something is missing.

Moritz