[GRASS-user] Slow import of GHSL

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 14:06:12 PDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
wrote:

[...]
> Is it an 10000rpm disk?

I think you are on the wrong track, disk IO does not matter here. It was a
7200rpm disk, and the output of r.in.gdal was about 1.5 GB. It takes only
seconds, not hours to write 1.5 GB to a HDD.

>>> p2 is a harder one!
>>

>> export GDAL_CACHEMAX=10000
>> gdal_translate -co "COMPRESS=LZW"
>> GHS_BUILT_LDS1990_GLOBE_R2016A_3857_38_v1_0_p2.tif p2_test.tif

> Also related?  GTIFF_DIRECT_IO, GTIFF_VIRTUAL_MEM_IO

Again, I think you are on the wrong track, disk IO does not matter here.
And according to the GDAL documentation, GTIFF_DIRECT_IO,
GTIFF_VIRTUAL_MEM_IO apply only to reading un-compressed TIFF files.

>> finishes in 28 minutes.
>
> Impressive!

Hardware does not really matter here. To be precise, the difference between
GDAL 1.11.4 and 2.1.3 is impressive, thanks to the efforts of the GDAL
development team.

Regarding GDAL 2.1.3, profiling might tell why gdal_translate is so much
faster than GRASS r.in.gdal.

Markus M