[GRASS-user] Renaming many files with one command

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Mar 18 09:13:54 PDT 2017

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017, Vincent Bain wrote:

> my one-liner 2-cents solution :
>
> for i in `g.list type=vector pattern=open_h_*`;do g.rename vect=$i,`echo
> $i | sed s/open_h_/blocked_h_/g`;done

Vincent,

   It's close, but not complete:

Renames data base element files in the user's current mapset.

Usage:
  g.rename [raster=from,to] [raster_3d=from,to] [vector=from,to]
    [label=from,to] [region=from,to] [group=from,to] [--overwrite]
    [--help] [--verbose] [--quiet] [--ui]

Flags:

Parameters:
      raster   raster map(s) to be renamed
   raster_3d   3D raster map(s) to be renamed
      vector   vector map(s) to be renamed
       label   paint label file(s) to be renamed
      region   region definition(s) to be renamed
       group   imagery group(s) to be renamed

ERROR: Sorry <open_h_max> is not a valid option
ERROR: Sorry <sed> is not a valid option
ERROR: Sorry </open_h_/blocked_h_/g> is not a valid option
ERROR: Option <raster> must be provided in multiples of 2
 	You provided 1 item(s): open_h_max,

   There needs to be a second argument to g.rename raster=from,to and the $1
represents only the 'from' portion. There's no 'to' portion available from
g.list.

   Looked good, though, and I thought it would work. I had not considered
this approach at all!

Thanks,

Rich