[GRASS-user] Slow import of GHSL

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Fri Mar 24 02:25:52 PDT 2017

(Sorry for silence, was without my personal computer for a week.)

* Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> [2017-03-22 22:11:01 +0100]:

>On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:28 PM, Markus Metz
>> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:

Interesting this is. See also:
https://global-surface-water.appspot.com/, at 30m, Landsat-based as
well.

>> > (my changes were bug fixes, not improvements)

Markus N, I am interested: did you use the "memory" option?

>> > A bit more information would help to compare:
>> >  - what is your GDAL version?
>>
>> GDAL 2.1.2
>>
>> >  - are 504 GeoTIFF files compressed? If yes, which method?
>>
>> Yes, COMPRESSION=LZW
>>
>> >  - what are the block dimensions of the input GeoTIFFs?
>>
>> Size is 36001, 36001  - Block=36001x1

Now that's important too.  What about GHSL's block size of 4K^2?
My understanding is that it would make a difference, for GRASS, if I
would redo the GHSL layers with a row-shaped "block".  Makes sense?

>This is row by row compression as in GRASS. That could help import with
>r.in.gdal which also reads and writes row by row.
>
>> Type=Byte
>>
>> >  - what kind of GRASS compression did you use?
>>
>> Default raster + NULL compression enabled. I.e.,
>>
>> r.compress -p watermask2010
>> <watermask2010> is compressed (method 2: ZLIB). Data type: CELL
>
>You might save disk space at the cost of longer reading times with BZIP2.
>
>> <watermask2010> has a compressed NULL file
>>
>> Again, the fact that I had to read from an attached storage box likely
>> slowed down the import.
>> Just thought to post these numbers here.
>
>Impressive that such a large raster can be imported at all, and relatively
>fasto!

Indeed, impressive.

Nikos