[GRASS-user] [snap pour point for r.water.outlet]

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 09:04:47 PDT 2017

Hi Ang,

I had replied off list. I'm now replying to the list so other can comment

The idea is that to delineate watersheds, the outlet has to lie in a place
with high accumulation. So if you get your outlet points a bit messed up, a
way to force them to go to the right place is to use r.distance.

I don't have a specific code nor I recall the steps I've taken back in
2010, when I did this. But, looking at the r.distance manual [1], this is
what I'd try if I had to repeat the process today:

1) Convert my outlet points to raster, each with a different category
2) Threshold your flow accumulation map in order to delineate the rivers
(high flow accumulation)
3) Run r.distance to find the closest river line to each of your output
point. Check that you don't create any points to far away from the original
position.
4) Use the output of r.distance as the coordinates in r.water.outlet

Cheers
Daniel

[1] - https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/r.distance.html