[GRASS-user] Another r.stream.extract question

Bartolomei.Chris Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com
Fri Nov 3 01:29:40 PDT 2017

Thanks Markus! I'll give that a try

[😊]

Chris

Chris Bartolomei P.E.
bartolomei.chris at ensco.com
________________________________
From: Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2017 12:47:38 AM
To: Bartolomei.Chris
Cc: grass-user
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Another r.stream.extract question

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 9:56 PM, Bartolomei.Chris <Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com<mailto:Bartolomei.Chris at ensco.com>> wrote:

> Hi all - While I see r.stream.extract is up for discussion (I didn't want to jump in on Rich's thread) could I ask for a bit of help?
>
> I'm trying to get the cat values in layer 2 of the stream vector map that r.stream.extract creates into a separate column of layer 1 of the same map... clear as mud? Can I create a layer 3 with the cat values from layer 1 and then create a new column and populate it with the cat values from layer 2? Is there a way in the SQLite to tell it to select attributes from 2 different layers?
>

> In more detail:  r.stream.extract creates a vector map of the stream system, layer 1 has CAT values of each of the stream reaches (internal feature ID) and an attribute for the type of reach (starting reach or intermediate, values are 0 and 1 respectively). Layer 2 of that same map has CAT values for the type of reach as well but introduce a value of 2 for the stream outlet - i.e values 0, 1, and 2 for starting reach, intermediate reach, and stream outlet(s). The problem is I would like the nodes (junctions - i.e. type=point) in a point map with their original cat values (CAT in layer 1) and the reach type values (CAT in layer 2) as the attributes.

For the most downstream segment, there are two points: the start point of that stream segment and the outlet. Both have the same CAT value. Therefore you can not load category values from layer 2 to layer 1 because a given CAT value in layer 1 can be both an intermediate point and an outlet.

You could create unique cat values in a new layer with
v.category type=point layer=3 op=add cat=1 step=1

Then upload categories or attributes from a different layer with e.g.
v.db.addcolumn layer=3 column="reach_type integer"
v.to.db layer=3 column=reach_type option=query query_layer=2 query_column=cat

HTH,

Markus M