[GRASS-user] v.distance and optimizations

Eric Patton thepattonian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 06:45:07 PDT 2017

 Hi,

I am running v.distance on a massive point vector which represents
coastline vertices, uploading the attributes of another point vector, in
this case, the vectorized point version of a DEM slope raster.

While the program is working as expected, (I have seen the output on
smaller files, and it looks correct), it is extremely slow because the
‘from’ vector has ~ 700k points in it, and my search radius is 200 m for
each point. I checked htop and v.distance is only using one CPU. The
process has been running for about a week, and is at 69%. I was wondering
if there were any way to make v.distance use more than one CPU (I have
four)? Or perhaps there is an environment variable I’m not aware of?

~ Eric.