[GRASS-user] d.mon vs gui windows

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Wed Nov 29 11:13:28 PST 2017

Hi,

I've noticed a curious difference between d.mon and g.gui with respect
to plotting maps on the screen. I usually use d.mon, and run GRASS from
within Emacs. However, on a recent project a particular map wouldn't
appear when plotted. No errors or warning messages, but d.vect didn't
change the appearance of the displayed map (no new features were shown).

I later needed to do some manual digitization, which appears to be only
available via g.gui. Running this, I realized that despite looking
identical, the map window run from g.gui works much better than when I
start it from d.mon. First, this solved the problem I mentioned above -
the points I couldn't display from d.mon showed up as expected with the
g.gui window.

Another thing I noticed, is that the map window from g.gui seems to
'remember' when I pan the view, while d.mon doesn't. That is, if I open
a window with d.mon, plot a map, pan to a different location, and then
plot some more points, the new points are initially placed on the screen
as if I hadn't panned. I have to click the 'redraw' button to get
everything lined up. This isn't necessary when running from g.gui.

What is the difference between plot windows opened from g.gui and d.mon?

My use case is probably quite esoteric: I'm running GRASS in text mode
from Emacs grass-mode on Debian, with the i3 window manager. So it's
possible I've inflicted these weird inconsistencies on myself. Any
suggestions on how to get d.mon to behave as nicely as g.gui for
displaying maps?

Best,

Tyler

--