[GRASS-user] Fwd: We need mentors for Google Code-In

Veronica Andreo veroandreo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 08:28:33 PDT 2017

Hi there GRASS-ers :)

As the subject reads: We need more mentors for Google Code-In !

GCI is a competition addressed to high-school students aged 13-17, as an
introduction to the open source world. They are supposed to complete as
much tasks as possible to win the contest. These tasks should be short
simple stuff (3-5 hours) from beginner stuff such as installing the
software and displaying a map to more advanced things such as proposing a
patch of code to fix a bug. However, since the students have to complete
several tasks to win, we need to plan lots of them and be available to
review what the students submit rather quickly, so they can start with a
new one. For that reason, it is better if we are more mentors. Since the
tasks do not involve only code stuff, everyone interested is invited to
propose tasks and join as mentor!

Here is the GRASS wiki [0] with more details and a collection of ideas for
tasks that should then be further explained and developed following a
certain format. I think the ideas are nice and this could be a funny
experience. Moreover, we could attract new generations and benefit from
their creativity ;)

Extra info about GCI and examples of tasks might be found in the dedicated
OSGeo wikis:
- https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2017
- https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2017_Tasks

Thanks a lot!