[GRASS-user] Unable to open the Corine land cover map using GrassGIS 7

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 13:07:15 PDT 2017

for the record, the problem is that for Corine Land Cover 2012, the
Coordinate Reference System embedded in the raster data is

LOCAL_CS["Geocoding information not available Projection Name =
ETRS_1989_LAEA Units = meters GeoTIFF Units = ot",
    UNIT["unknown",1]]

while it should be

PROJCS["ETRS89 / LAEA Europe",
    GEOGCS["ETRS89",
        DATUM["European_Terrestrial_Reference_System_1989",
            SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
            TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6258"]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","4258"]],
    PROJECTION["Lambert_Azimuthal_Equal_Area"],
    PARAMETER["latitude_of_center",52],
    PARAMETER["longitude_of_center",10],
    PARAMETER["false_easting",4321000],
    PARAMETER["false_northing",3210000],
    UNIT["metre",1,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","3035"]]

Apparently the creators of the data tried to hide the Coordinate Reference
System in the GIS data available for download.

Markus M

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Hakim Benoudjit <h.benoudjit at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You're right I wasn't using the gdal commands that come with OSGeo4W
(with that version of gdal it's working well), I was working with a version
of gdal that I've compiled from source. So probably some flags had to be
set during the compilation, but I forgot to do so.

> Hakim.
>

> On 9 October 2017 at 17:54, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi Hakim,
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Hakim Benoudjit <h.benoudjit at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Thanks Markus for your reponse.
>> >
>> > I tried the gdalwarp command to reproject the land cover raster to
WGS84 using the following command:
C:\Data\Corine-Land-Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\subset.tif
C:\Data\Corine-Land-Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\subset-wgs84.tif

>> > But I'm not sure how to provide the csv file it's asking for to
interpret the projection:
>> > ERROR 4: Unable to open EPSG support file gcs.csv.  Try setting the
GDAL_DATA environment variable to point to the directory containing EPSG
csv files.

>> > The only csv file provided with this land cover archive is inside the
Legend folder (clc_legend.csv), which gives the index of each type of land
cover.
>> > Do you have any idea where to locate this gcs.csv file it's asking
for, and how to provide it on Windows (should I add an environment variable
set to the path of this file)?

>> this gcs.csv file is part of a standard GDAL installation. GDAL uses by
default its own gcs.csv file, there should be no need to specify this file
or GDAL_DATA explicitely.

Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no> wrote:

> [...]
data, therefore r.import will not work and you need to define the CRS
(EPSG:3035) manually.

Behalf Of Hakim Benoudjit

version) for Europe using GrassGIS, which can be downloaded from
http://land.copernicus.eu/pan-european/corine-land-cover/clc-2012.

supported (The projection is ETRS89 (EPSG:3035)),  while the projection of
the location I'm trying to import the raster to is WGS84 (EPSG:4326). Here
is the error shown in GrassGIS: ERROR: Coordinate reference system not
available for input <C:\Data\Corine Land
Cover\g100_clc12_V18_5a\g100_clc12_V18_5.tif>