[GRASS-user] g.extension and SSL

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 14:16:54 PDT 2017

In case anyone else runs across this issue (SSL and g.extension), I've sort-of solved it for now. These are the steps I had to take to get an extension installed on Mac OS X and GRASS 7.2.0 installed via fink. I recall a year ago g.extension worked rather easily with a Homebrew installation.

If I download the ZIP file and try to install the extension that way:

   g.extension -s extension=r.stream.order url=/path/to/r.stream.order-71621.zip

I'm told:

    ERROR: You don't have permission to install extension to
       </sw/Applications/GRASS-mac-7.2.app/Contents/MacOS>. Try to run
       g.extension with administrator rights (su or sudo).

Adding sudo before ~g.extension~ does not work.

I made it farther by creating a new GRASS location as sudo:

    sudo grass72 -c EPSG:3413 ./Gtmp
    g.extension -s extension=r.stream.order url=/path/to/r.stream.order-71621.zip

But g.extension build fails with:

    In file included from io.c:1:
    ./io.h:8:10: fatal error: 'grass/glocale.h' file not found
    #include <grass/glocale.h>

>From the full error message some work was being done in "/sw/src/fink.build/grass72-mac-7.2.0-1/grass-7.2.0/Applications". I looked there and found a sort-of empty shell of the GRASS.app. I fixed it with:

    cd /sw/src/fink.build/grass72-mac-7.2.0-1/grass-7.2.0/Applications
    sudo mv GRASS-mac-7.2.app/ GRASS-mac-7.2.app.no
    sudo ln -s /sw/Applications/GRASS-mac-7.2.app

Then

    g.extension -s extension=r.stream.order url=/path/to/r.stream.order-71621.zip

reports

    Installation of <r.stream.order> successfully finished

But ~g.extension -a~ reports: "No extension (module) installed"

Still, ~r.stream.order --help~ does print something, and it appears that the module does run.

I hope this is helpful for someone else, but I doubt it will be due to the limited Google results for these topics. Perhaps the someone else it helps is a future me.

  -k.