[GRASS-user] Re-projected Data Position Mismatch

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 00:41:11 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Markus Metz
> <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 5:59 AM, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

WGS

> >> Thank you, yes that works. I looked at lib/proj/convert.c where I
> >> assume the problem is. If I interpret it correctly it basically
> >> discards +a and +b from the EXTENSION and instead picks WGS84
> >> ellipsoid because of wkt
> >>
> >> DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]]
> >>
> >> But I don't really know what that extension actually means or how
> >> GRASS should treat it.
> >>

> >> This is the WKT which is processed:

PROJCS["WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",0.0],PARAMETER["Auxiliary_Sphere_Type",0.0],UNIT["Meter",1.0],EXTENSION["PROJ4","+proj=merc
> >> +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0
> >> +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext +no_defs"]]
> >
> > This WKT is processed correctly, GDAL converts this with
OSRExportToProj4()

> > +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0
> > +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext +no_defs
> >
> > the only problem is +nadgrids=@null.
> >
> > Unfortunately, GPJ_osr_to_grass() discards any datum and/or ellipsoid
info
> > in the proj4 term at
> > https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/proj/convert.c#L477
> >
> > Datum and/or ellipsoid definitions are determined later on from the
original
> > OGR spatial reference, which causes problems for EPSG:3857 and possibly
> > other CRS's.
>
>  Are there actually more cases like this 3857 we need to fear?
> >
> > The reason for this special handling is that GRASS has its own datum and
> > ellipsoid definitions in lib/gis, i.e. in datum.table,
datumtransform.table,
> > ellipse.table, ellipse.table.solar.system.
> >
> > It seems like a review of GRASS handling of GDAL CRS definitions is
> > needed...
> >

> That sounds rather complicated. Would some workaround be an option?
> Maybe checking if the datum from GDAL matches the datum from the proj4
> string?

The proj4 string is also coming from GDAL (OSRExportToProj4()). In this
case, the WKT definition contains a datum (WGS84), while the proj4 string
does not contain a datum, instead a sphere defined by a and b. A possible
workaround could be to use any datum/ellipsoid definition from the proj4
string and not from the OGR spatial reference, but that would introduce
another CRS translation, i.e. another potential source of errors. It might
be easier and safer to handle the special case EPSG:3857 or maybe more
general the WKT attribute EXTENSION if it exists and contains a proj4
definition.

Markus M

> >> Anna

Web