[GRASS-user] Extract subnet from grass vector network based on selected nodes

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 07:45:36 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Johannes Radinger <
johannesradinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a GRASS vector network that represents a river network (with many
first order tributaries) and that has additional connected nodes that
represent sampling sites.

> I'd like to extract a minimum subnetwork of the full network that still
connects a set of selected nodes (e.g. identified by their cat). However,
network edges (i.e. river segments) that are not necessary to connect the
sampling points should be excluded in the new subnetwork. Is there a
function or process in GRASS GIS to extract such a subnetwork that fully
connects a set of selected nodes?

You could try v.net.steiner. A Steiner tree is probably overkill for a
river network, but it should work.

Markus M