[GRASS-user] Change Raster Temp Directory?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Fri Sep 29 08:27:20 PDT 2017

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Jeshua Lacock <jeshua at 3dtopo.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have rasters being stored on old-fashioned spinning disks. If I could store temporary files on a solid-state drive I think the operations I am performing would be considerably faster.

Yes, definitely.

> I see that there is a variable for specifying what temp directory to use with vector operations, but I don’t see a way to change the temp directory for raster operations. Is it possible?
>
> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/variables.html

Unfortunately there no single variable yet to define that for raster data, too.

This is a cleanup we should do for GRASS GIS 8. I have added it to
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Grass8Planning

Nothing complicated, just a code cleanup is needed here.

As a workaround you could simply replace the location/mapset/.tmp/
with a link to a directory on SSD.

Markus