[GRASS-user] Change the length and type of columns in an attribute table

Camille Bezzina camille.bezzina at geophom.fr
Wed Apr 4 08:56:09 PDT 2018

Hello all,

I have a problem when I want to modify an attribute table.

I add a new vector with v.in.ogr. My attribute table is build like that :

name                   type                              length

cat                     integer                           20
ID                       character                       24
PREC_PLANI       double precision             20
NATURE              character                       31
HAUTEUR           integer                            20
id_2                    integer                            20

I would like to remove the column 'HAUTEUR', but when I remove this
column, my two character columns (ID and NATURE) change automatically to
become :

ID                   text        1000
NATURE         text        1000

Do you know why the simple fact to remove a column (HAUTEUR) change type
and length of other columns.

Thanks,

Camille Bezzina
Geophom