[GRASS-user] Fresh eyes needed

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Aug 11 02:52:17 PDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I'm about to give up for today, but perhaps fresh eyes will see what I'm
> not seeing.
>
> Input data fragment:
>
> name,lon,lat,elev,sampdate,prcp
> Headworks Portland
> Water,2370575.38427211,199337.634652112,228,2005-01-01,0.59
>
>   Six fields comma separated.
>
> Command:
>
> v.in.ascii in=$HOME/projects/data/precipitation/rainfall.csv skip=1
> out=precip sep=comma columns='name varchar, lon double precision, lat double
> precision, elev double precision, sampdate varchar, prcp double precision'
> x=2 y=3 z=4 --o
>
>   Six columns defined.
>
> What grass reports:

GRASS 7.4.2svn (nc_spm_08_grass7):~ > v.in.ascii in=bla.csv skip=1
out=precip sep=comma columns='name varchar, lon double precision, lat
double precision, elev double precision, sampdate varchar, prcp double
precision' x=2 y=3 z=4
Scanning input for column types...
Number of columns: 6
Number of rows: 2
WARNING: Column number 4 <elev> defined as double has only integer values
Importing points...
 100%
Populating table...
Building topology for vector map <precip at user1>...
Registering primitives...
One primitive registered
One vertex registered
Building areas...
 100%
0 areas built
0 isles built
Attaching islands...
Attaching centroids...
 100%
Number of nodes: 0
Number of primitives: 1
Number of points: 1
Number of lines: 0
Number of boundaries: 0
Number of centroids: 0
Number of areas: 0
Number of isles: 0

Works nicely.
Maybe any spurious hidden char at the end of row 1 or row 2?

Markus

> Scanning input for column types...
> Number of columns: 7
> Number of rows: 113570
> ERROR: 'x' column is not of number type
>
>   I just do not see where grass finds that seventh column that shifts 'x'
> out of position. No name has a comma within it.
>
> Puzzled,
>
> Rich

Markus Neteler, PhD
http://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software