[GRASS-user] r.clip ... not clipping [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 17 07:31:17 PDT 2018

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Does the attached screenshot correctly show results of the above command?
> Reading the manual page I thought that all cells outside the red boundary
> would be eliminated.

   Mea culpa! Yes, r.clip works as it should; it was my expectation based on
r.mask that resulted in my confusion.

   r.clip clips to a rectangular region. When I set the region on an
irregular polygon border for a vector file I was thinking in terms of v.clip
where the input file is clipped to the irregular polygon boundary of the
clipping file. r.clip ignores the polygon boundary since the region covers
the rectangle in which the polygon is located. So, while I know I can mask a
raster to the boundary of an irregular polygon I cannot clip the raster
grids to that same boundary.

   Perhaps some time in the future the r.clip behavior can parallel that of
r.mask so a named vector map would be the clipping boundary.

Regards,

Rich