[GRASS-user] question on Stray light Landsat 8 data

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Wed Aug 22 01:19:19 PDT 2018

* Gabriel Cotlier <gabiklm01 at gmail.com> [2018-08-21 12:00:24 -0300]:

>Dear Nikos and GRASS users,
>
>I would like to ask if nonetheless the effect due to "stray light" the
>*i.landsat8.swlst* code for split window is still applicable to Landsat 8
>data and whether these error is specially visible on water bodies? and
>whether band 10 is better than band 11 in terms of correction processing
>for Level -1  data products?
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Kind regards,
>Gabriel

Dear Gabriel,

for details and references, refer to

https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/landsat-8-thermal-data-ghost-free-after-stray-light-exorcism/

Make sure you use the newest Level-1 Collection 1 Landsat 8 products.

I use `i.landsat8.swlst` and plan to improve it further.

However, whether to prefer a Split-Window based approach, or another
Single-Channel one, depends on what you want to do. Think of spatial
extent and coverage of various land (cover) types, temporal extent
and more.

Thermal remote sensing is hard(er) also because it's hard to get
ground-truth data sets so as to validate LST estimations.

Nikos