[GRASS-user] New addon v.rast.bufferstats

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Fri Aug 24 00:02:07 PDT 2018

Hi Rich,

My application for the module is characterizing sampling sites in ecological research.
It is mainly a port of https://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/manuals/addons/v.what.rast.buffer.html to Python - with some enhancements like multiple buffers, DB output, tabulating classified raster data (e.g. land cover maps). The purpose is "to provide local environmental context to" a series of input geometries.

As mentioned, the module is not incredibly fast, but might help to replace users/researcher time with CPU hours...
So, what is appropriate, depends on how much data you throw at the module, your patience and how efficient your alternative workflows are...

Would be cool if you could share your experience, in case you try it...

Cheers
Stefan