[GRASS-user] Display times with ps.map products

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Aug 29 09:25:11 PDT 2018

   For a current project I have several maps produced by ps.map and run
through ps2pdf to provide a PDF file. They tend to display slowly; I assume
because a background raster map, while computationally limited by the region
and a mask, is invisibly larger than what is seen on the map.

   Is there a process by which I can clip/trim a copy of the raster DEM to
the boundary of the vector used for the mask? That should make it display
more quickly. I've not seen (recognized?) a module to do this; v.clip did
not do the job (perhaps I used it incorrectly.)

   Rasterizing the map with 'convert' to a .jpg results in immediate display
but, of course, the resolution is lower than the .pdf version. This is most
noticeable when viewing the PDF document in which the map is embedded.

Rich