[GRASS-user] db.? to change column names

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Aug 31 07:12:55 PDT 2018

On 31/08/18 00:09, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     I imported a .dat file using v.in.ascii to a lon_lat location, then
> re-projected it to the desired location. The column names for the CRS in the
> database were still 'lon' and 'lat'. I did not see a db.* module to change
> the names; neither db.columns nor db.describe have this capability.
>
>     Using the gui I was able to 'manage tables' and change the column names
> there, but did not look to see if there was the related command on the
> bottom of the dialog box.
>
>     What module lets me rename columns when working at the command line or
> from a script?

Markus gave you the name of a module, but just to make sure: the column
content in your attribute table does not change because you reproject,
so your columns lat and lon should still contain lat and lon values.

If you would like to fill two columns with the x and y values of your
points in the projected system, instead of having the lat/lon columns,
you might just as well drop the latter with v.db.dropcolumn, add two new
columns x/y with v.db.addcolumn and fill those with v.to.db.

Moritz