[GRASS-user] New Google Scholar profile: "GRASS Development Team"

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 13:02:13 PST 2018

On 2018-12-09 at 10:24 -0800, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 7:20 PM Ken Mankoff <mankoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2018-12-09 at 02:24 -0800, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:
>> > for fun, to easily track GRASS GIS related publications I have
>> > created a new Google Scholar profile: GRASS Development Team (a
>> > virtual team!)
>> > https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=gJ0ZB0cAAAAJ
>>
>> Is this papers about GRASS?
>
> yes
>
>> Or papers that use GRASS?
>
> also yes
>
>> And papers by anyone,
>
> yes
>
>> or papers by the GRASS dev team?
>
> not limited to GRASS dev team since that quite changed in the past 35+
> years.
>
> So: "openly GRASS GIS related" was the idea. Should that be modified?

I'm not involved enough that I think my suggestions should carry weight, but I'll make an observation. The current list is all-inclusive and any of those paper scan be found by searching for "GRASS GIS" on Google Scholar. All this adds is a citation count & h-index. Which is a fine point and may be the point.

A perhaps useful curated subset is papers *about* GRASS (or papers where GRASS is the focus, add-ons, etc). That curated list is probably important enough it is worth being hosted as a page on the GRASS wiki, and not just on Google Scholar.

Anyway, the current focus includes me: non-dev, just user, used it in a paper, so feel free to add DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.5194/tc-11-303-2017

  -k.