[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] Keeping GRASS/OTB/... algorithm in qgis processing

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Mon Feb 5 12:56:21 PST 2018

Hi,

In general I would say that both sides (QGIS – GRASS) benefit from an integration like Processing or the GRASS plugin. QGIS gains algorithms, GRASS gains user base. And for the future, Rashads and Moritz proposal make indeed a lot of sense!

The text descriptor files have been a real pain for maintaining interfaces for GRASS integration in Processing as well as the GRASS plugin. In addition, they make usage of AddOns practically impossible for most of the QGIS users.

However, for QGIS (and this is true for both integrations), the module UI was deliberately simplified by hiding / removing “advanced” option or splitting modules into “sub-types”. In addition not all modules could be meaningful added to the two QGIS integrations (e.g. temporal modules in Processing). And finally, some require extra work on the QGIS side (like r.mapcalc).

So, I would assume that a --qgis-descriptor solution would be most appropriate. But that would still require additional work (beyond implementing a parser solution) if the principles for the GRASS module UI in QGIS should stay as it is, like:

-          Tagging options and flags as advanced or basic/main/common (could be an opportunity to consolidate terminology in the module UI in GRASS as well)

-          Deciding which modules to use / exclude from QGIS (and how to mark them)

Maybe also Ondrejs work could be useful here : https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2016/PyQtGUI ?

Cheers
Stefan