[GRASS-user] Cannot re-install Grass 7.2

Mira Kattwinkel kattwinkel-mira at uni-landau.de
Fri Feb 16 05:35:33 PST 2018

Dear list

I would like to go back from Grass 7.4 to Grass 7.2 (because the new
version is incompatible with QGIS). However, I have severe problems.

I am running Linux Mint 18.2****(Sonja).

When I try to add the correct ppa I get the following:

mira at mira-mint ~ $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-stable
Cannot add PPA: 'No JSON object could be decoded'.

Changing the source manually in
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntugis-ubuntugis-unstable-xenial.list to

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-stable/ubuntu xenial main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-stable/ubuntu
xenial main

has the following effect when running sudo apt-get update:

... Err:16 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-stable/ubuntu
xenial/main Sources
   403  Forbidden

W: The repository
'http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-stable/ubuntu xenial
Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore
potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user
configuration details.
E: Failed to fetch
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-stable/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/source/Sources
403  Forbidden
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Can anybody please point me into the right direction? Thanks a lot,

Mira