[GRASS-user] Multiple `r.proj` requests on the same raster map(s)

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Sat Feb 24 13:06:10 PST 2018

* Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com> [2018-02-24 21:39:40 +0100]:

>On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 9:25 PM, Nikos Alexandris <nik at nikosalexandris.net>
>wrote:
>>
>> Dear community,
>>
>> I am asking for help to "debug" a situation.
>>
>> One ETRS89-based location, one Mapset with hundreds of land cover raster
>> map tiles.
>>
>> Then, hundreds of UTM Zones-based Locations, subset of the WRS2 grid.
>>
>> Multiple `r.proj`es are running in parallel. However, only one at a time
>> from inside one Mapset inside the respective UTM-Zone-based Location,
>> requesting for one land cover raster map tile from the ETRS89-based
>Location.
>>
>> And, each `r.proj` is isolated running inside an independent docker
>container.
>>
>> To the question. Some tiles are cross-cut by more than one UTM-Zone.
>> Hence, it happens that many UTM-Zones will/might request to read the
>> same land cover raster map tile at the same time.
>>
>> That is one write per target Mapset/Location, yet highly probable
>> concurrent read requests to the same raster map(s) in the source
>> Mapset/Location.
>>
>> Is this bad?
>
>Are you experiencing problems?

Yes.

(It's not easy for me to have access to the logs, as I
don't directly have access to the scheduler. I got a copy though and I
am reading through.)

Looking at jobs logs, I read lots of ".gislock" lines.
It might be some permission related issue. I partially operated directly
(with my user-id) on many Locations.

The operateor of the scheduler, has naturally, another user-id. I wonder
if I should apply GRASS_SKIP_MAPSET_OWNER_CHECK=1 everywhere.

>I have been using concurrent read requests on the same raster maps on
>different HPC systems for quite a few years by now and never got any
>problems.

Thank you Markusi. This is a very useful piece of information. It's
reassuring that this part of the process is ok and the problem lies elsewhere.

>Concurrent write requests would be a different issue.

>Markus M

None here.

Nikos