[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] Grass on MacOS (Ken Mankoff)

Anna Petrášová kratochanna at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 02:14:10 PST 2018

Hi Michael and Eric,

that's great indeed! What are the plans to document the entire
process? Probably creating a GRASS wiki page?

I would like to eventually switch to wxPython Phoenix, because I don't
want to invest energy into fixing issues for wxpython 3 in case some
of these things already work in Phoenix. The current state of wxGUI
and Phoenix is that it roughly 90% of GUI works on Linux, if I
remember correctly on Mac too, but I didn't have that much time to
test it.

Thank you,
Anna

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:37 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> [...]
>> removed.
>>
>> This looks like exactly what is needed. Hopefully I can package it as you
>> did and get it posted to test by the end of the week.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> Michael
>> ____________________
>> C. Michael Barton
>> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
>> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
>> Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
>> Arizona State University
>>
>> voice:  480-965-6262 (SHESC), 480-965-8130/727-9746 (CSDC)
>> fax: 480-965-7671 (SHESC),  480-727-0709 (CSDC)
>> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu

>> On Jan 14, 2018, at 3:23 PM, Eric Hutton <hutton.eric at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael
>>
>> Thanks for your earlier clarification about how grass runs (I was missing
>> a key point!). I think I have a solution now. Basically, the
>> Grass72.app/Contents/MacOS/Grass script now opens up a terminal and, within
>> that terminal, executes the startup script (the one we were using before,
>> which is now Grass.sh).
>>
>> You can see what I mean here:
>>

>> https://github.com/mcflugen/grass-conda-build/tree/master/osx/Grass72.app/Contents/MacOS
>>
>> I'll start to make a new app but the one I have seems to be working now
>> (I've been using the NC data you sent me).
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 1:31 PM Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ken & Co.
>>>
>>> You might find this of interest.
>>>
>>> I've been working off and on for the past several month to find a new way
>>> to compile and distribute GRASS for Mac with all dependencies created
>>> outside the Mac system folders and bundled with it. The goal is to eliminate
>>> the SIP problem and the potential for conflicts with different versions of
>>> dependencies/frameworks/python/wxpython.
>>>
>>> With a lot of help from colleague Eric Hutton (Community Surface Dynamics
>>> Modeling System), we are very close to having a reproducible and
>>> distributable build of GRASS under Anaconda. Our goal is to compile GRASS in
>>> an Anaconda environment so that it is distributable in two related ways: as
>>> a standard Mac package and app, and as an Anaconda package (installed via
>>> the command 'conda install [grass version]'). This will be a fully 64 bit
>>> GRASS version using wxPython 3 for the GUI.
>>>
>>> Due to the many other responsibilities and pulls on our time, Eric and I
>>> have only been able to work sporadically. But as of this week we are down to
>>> one main baffling and annoying problem left to solve. Then we can do some
>>> clean up and begin making this build available to test. With that in mind,
>>> if anyone has experience in creating Mac *.app and *.pkg environments for
>>> distribution, please get in touch. You might be able to help us get over the

>>> Michael