[GRASS-user] [GRASS-dev] Grass on MacOS (Ken Mankoff)

Carlos Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 15:13:16 PST 2018

Fantastic!

After installing it, it kinda froze the first time I opened it, but the
second time there was no issues.

NVIZ works!

I tried to run some python scripts and in the first time I got an error
message, complaining about matplotlib, but luckily the error message said
to use 'pythonw' instead of 'python' and with that, all the libraries were
imported (matplotlib, seaborn etc).

I noticed that there is no command line history in python.

Will keep testing

Carlos

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
wrote:

> I've just posted a new GRASS 7.2.2 dmg to the GRASS for Mac web site (
> http://grassmac.wikidot.com). This one is compiled with gettext for
> internationalization. Please test.
>
> I have not been able to get 7.4 to compile yet.
>
> Michael
>

> ____________________
> C. Michael Barton
> Director, Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
> Professor of Anthropology, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
> Head, Graduate Faculty in Complex Adaptive Systems Science
> Arizona State University
>
> voice:  480-965-6262 <(480)%20965-6262> (SHESC), 480-965-8130
> <(480)%20965-8130>/727-9746 (CSDC)
> fax: 480-965-7671 <(480)%20965-7671> (SHESC),  480-727-0709
> <(480)%20727-0709> (CSDC)
> www: http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton, http://csdc.asu.edu
>

> On Jan 16, 2018, at 9:37 PM, Michael Barton <Michael.Barton at asu.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Helena,
>
> I am very glad that it works for you so easily. A HUGE thanks is owed to
> Eric Hutton of the Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System (CSDMS), an
> NSF facility and scientific network for modeling in the earth sciences. It
> was Eric's idea to try this through Anaconda. He provided guidance and I
> worked though a lot of testing it as an Anaconda build last summer, but was
> unable to get it to a point where GRASS could reliably be compiled and then
> distributed. Over the last couple months, Eric has worked out how to solve
> those problems, including making a launchable app and packaging it all in a
> dmg. There is a bit of fine tuning left to do in the workflow, but it is
> essentially distributable now--making it the first time I've been able to
> create a stable and easily installable binary in a year and a half.
>
> Parallel to this, Eric proposes (and has worked out the protocol) of also
> making GRASS available as an Anaconda package. He has created an Anaconda
> 'recipe' to do this. After getting the app/dmg distributed, I will follow
> his lead to test how this works as an alternative for those who use
> Anaconda for Python.
>
> This new build has a couple of characteristics quite different from
> previous Mac versions. Most importantly, all needed dependencies are
> bundled inside the app. This makes for a bigger app, but hopefully
> eliminates any conflicts among dependency versions. No more separately
> installed "frameworks". No more conflicts if you (or a program) install
> another version of Python or wxPython somewhere. And hopefully, no more
> issues with Apple's 'system integrity protection' (SIP).
>
> This test version does not include gettext for internationalization or
> libLAS. I wanted to test it as we've been developing the workflow, without
> adding anything else until I can confirm that it works. However, I think it
> will be easy to include gettext because there already is an Anaconda
> [...]

Prof. Carlos Henrique Grohmann
Institute of Energy and Environment - Univ. of São Paulo, Brazil
- Digital Terrain Analysis | GIS | Remote Sensing -

http://carlosgrohmann.com
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5073-5572