[GRASS-user] Importing lat-lon points into projected location

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Mon Jul 2 23:04:24 PDT 2018

* Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> [2018-07-02 14:14:10 -0700]:

>  The project's location uses ESPG code 3828. I have a small point file of
>three features very close to each other with unprojected geographic
>coordinates in latitude-longitude:
>
>45.299844|-122.353975|USGS gauge
>45.288936|-122.350918|dam
>45.302761|-122.358851|Building 1
>
>When imported with:
>
>v.in.ascii in=<path/to/data/file>points.txt out=point_features columns=\
>'y double precision, x double precision, label varchar(15)' cat=0 y=1 x=2 \
>--overwrite
>
>  The monitor displays only a single point (the first in the list) even when
>I try zooming in very close, and the attribute data has the location in
>lat-lon rather than easting and northing. I'm not seeing what I'm doing
>incorrectly.
>
>  I tried importing to a generic location but the result was the same.
>
>  Pointers needed.

Dear Rich,

I too, and many others, I think, have had this question at some point.

The points are there. Matching the computational/visible region to a
vector, is as exact as it can be. The default point symbol, 'basic/x', sits for
the two "extreme" points on the corners of the visible region. The default size
for the 'x' point symbol is, likely, too small. Try with a "better" background
and size.

Using your points above,
```
v.in.ascii in=some.ascii  out=point_features columns='y double precision, x double precision, label varchar(15)' cat=0 y=1 x=2
g.region vector=point_features
d.mon wx0  # I don't use this at the moment. Instead, I draw on a file.
d.erase bgcolor=black
d.vect point_features color=magenta size=10 width=5
```

further, more clear:
```
g.region s=s-0.001 e=e+0.001 n=n+0.001 w=w-0.001 -p
d.erase bgcolor=black
d.vect point_features color=magenta size=10 width=5
```

Cheers, Nikos

ps- Recalling someone's past recommendation: black is a good
background color choice for maps.