[GRASS-user] Importing googleearth image

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 7 13:43:47 PDT 2018

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018, Micha Silver wrote:

> When it comes to visualizing your results on some basemap, I'd warmly
> recommend switching to QGIS and preparing your map layouts in the QGIS map
> composer. You have access to all your GRASS maps thru the QGIS GRASS
> provider, and you can use the QGIS plugin "QuickMapServices" to have
> access to several online WMS services for a choice of background maps.

Micha,

   I've not before had need to learn qgis. Yes, it can apparently do a
'better' job of map publishing than can grass, but that's not what I was
wanting to do.

   When I view a project's area on Google-Earth my reading of instructions
and GE-associated web pages suggests there are two options for saving the
associated geographic coordinates or as a point vector of a designated
'place' saved as a .kml file.

   I wanted to learn if there's a way of saving the GE view as a
georeferenced .kml that could be imported into grass and draped over a
shaded DEM or used as an underlay with grass vector maps on top. My
understanding is there there is no way to do this.

Thanks,

Rich