[GRASS-user] Importing googleearth image

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Jul 7 15:23:35 PDT 2018

Rich,

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 10:43 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   When I view a project's area on Google-Earth my reading of instructions
> and GE-associated web pages suggests there are two options for saving the
> associated geographic coordinates

... so that would be raster map then, to be imported with r.import (or
r.in.gdal).
Yet rather useless since no real coordinates included as you say.

> or as a point vector of a designated 'place' saved as a .kml file.

... so that would be vector map then, to be imported with v.import (or
v.in.ogr). Along with the difficulties which may come with KML.

>  I wanted to learn if there's a way of saving the GE view as a
> georeferenced .kml that could be imported into grass and draped over a
> shaded DEM or used as an underlay with grass vector maps on top.
> My understanding is there there is no way to do this.

That means you want to export from GE the vector area? And import that
to GRASS GIS?
Or also the related satellite imagery (which I doubt you can export at
all to a GIS).

Markus