[GRASS-user] Problem with half basins becoming fragmented using r.watershed

Massi Alvioli nocharge at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 02:50:46 PDT 2018

Hi Erin,

in my experience the small half-basins are not in error, they
appearance depends only on the particular digital elevation
model you are using. And on the threshold you are using in
r.watershed, of course. Did you tray scanning a wide range
of thedholds to make sense of your results?

A similar issue was discussed in details in these papers of ours,
along with possible solutions to the problem of small basins.
We actually discuss slope units, which, essentially, are half basins
obtained from r.watershed with different theshold values
in different regions of a study area:

https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-9-3975-2016
http://2018.geomorphometry.org/Alvioli_Marchesini_Guzzetti_2018_geomorphometry.pdf

the method presented in the papers is based on the software
r.slopeunits, available here:

http://geomorphology.irpi.cnr.it/tools/slope-units

and one can get simple half basins by ignoring the option "cleansize",
or specifying from value for "cleansize", which
would remove small slope units form the final map using a few different methods.

hope this helps.

Massi