[GRASS-user] Memory issues

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 16 11:53:41 PDT 2018

   'less /proc/meminfo' shows:

MemTotal:        3874108 kB
MemFree:         2977416 kB
MemAvailable:    2972780 kB

   top tells me that firefox is using ~14% of that. Nothing else is using
more than ~1.2%

   In ~/.bash_profile I 'export GRASS_VECTOR_LOWMEM=1'.

   When I run r.contour it cannot allocate 671472 bytes of memory. This seems
to me to be an amount well within the free or available memory. What can I
do to ensure sufficient RAM to run the module?

   The error (which appears after ~8% of the file has been read) is:

Current region rows: 47371, cols: 83934
ERROR: G_malloc: unable to allocate 671472 bytes of memory at
        raster/r.contour/main.c:240

Rich