[GRASS-user] Interactive editing (was: Memory issues)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 16 15:12:04 PDT 2018

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

> This suggests that the solution is to create a mask and generate the
> contours only within that area.

   In the monitor I displayed the DEM and a couple of reference vectors, then
zoomed to an area within which I want to create a vector area to use as a
mask. I've not found a method that lets me do this interactively.

   First, I tried a vector map edit and gave it the name 'analysis_area'. The
monitor removed the current display and left a white board on which to draw,
but I had no reference points because the raster DEM and vector features
were not visible.

   Second, I tried a raster map edit and provided the same name along with
the raster DEM as a background. This produced a white rectangle in the
middle of the display and again I could not see the background so I could
not draw an area boundary.

   What is the proper process to use a displayed map while drawing an area
boundary (vector, or raster that can be converted to a vector) and seeing
where the edits are located?

Rich