[GRASS-user] Stream extraction and effect of land cover and precipitation

Stefan Blumentrath Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Sat Jun 9 14:36:54 PDT 2018

Dear GRASS users,

I am doing some stream extraction with r.stream.extract, just using a terrain model. This works generally quite nice.

However, I notice that e.g. contributions of lakes and mires to stream generation are under-estimated if all pixels contribute equally, regardless of their land cover. Precipitation will be another issue when I move along a continentality gradient or when looking at larger scale in general.

My question now is, does anyone of you know good scientific papers that tackle these issues?
Or does anyone have suggestions on how to handle esp. the landcover issue?
For precipitation  would probably just experiment with some test cases and flow parameter in r.watershed, but land cover is much more difficult to quantify in a reasonable way just by experimenting...

Thanks for any hints!

Kind regards,
Stefan