[GRASS-user] Joining attributes of points to spatially-coincident line vertices

thepattonian at gmail.com thepattonian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 08:02:18 PST 2018

I have a high-resolution vector coastline, and I extracted the vertices of this coastline to points using 'v.to.points use=vertex'. I am trying to find the nearest raster slope value from another map to these points, and then upload this slope to the attribute table of the vector points coastline. To do this, I converted the raster slope map to points with r.to.vect, and successfully uploaded the nearest slope value from the now vector slope map to the vector points coastline with v.distance, using a dmax=200.

Ok, now to my problem: I want to get the vector coastline points back onto the original vector *lines* coastline, with all the point attributes as well. Since the vector coastline points were derived from the vertices of the coastline map in the first place, they are spatially  coincident, but I can't find a processing method that does this. Ideally, I suppose the coastline points map could act as breakpoints to the coastline polyline map, and the attributes would be transferred based on a buffer of something like one metre or less.

Any ideas on how I might do this?

Thanks,

--
Eric