[GRASS-user] Clustering process in i.segment

Giuseppe Esposito peppegeo84 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 07:03:43 PDT 2018

Dear GRASS GIS experts,

I’m approaching segmentation in GRASS GIS and some doubts arised when
reading the manual of the i.segment module
(https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/i.segment.html). For this
reason, I would like to ask if someone may provide me further
explanations about the following point.

I understood that the mean shift image segmentation consists of 2
steps: anisotrophic filtering and clustering. It is non immediatelly
clear to me how the second step (clustering) is working and I can't
find help from the manual. I am not understanding how this process is
performed in the i.segment module, as well as if I can set it somehow.
Do someone can help me with some explanation or reference about the
clustering process in i.segment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Giuseppe Esposito