[GRASS-user] Ideas for a rush project

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:09:18 PDT 2018

Hello friends!

Things are not going well here in the U.S. on the environmental front.
Among the things I have been working on is grassroots (no pun intended)
environmental activism to stop the construction of 2, 42 inch (> 1 m)
diameter, high-pressure natural gas pipelines which will be constructed
through the Appalachian Mountains (steep slopes, folded, thrust-faulted,
seismically active, with lots of Karst geology, etc...) an environmental
nightmare.

The State of Virginia is allowing a final comment period ending June 1 on
specified stream-crossing locations by the pipeline, many 1st order stream,
totalling about 400 locations. Comments MUST be addressed on a site-by-site
basis, dealing with erosion and sedimentation impacts on water quality.

I need to automate a process (thinking GRASS + R + knitr) to  develop
individual reports for each location (I have IDs, lat-long values). What
I'm asking for are suggestions of what I might include in my analyses that
are site-specific, which I could automate through some scripting.

Since I have each stream-crossing location I could use that as a center for
a GRASS region for the analyses. One thought is to try to calculate scour
in the stream channels using, among many things, stream gradient; also
potentially, erosion based on RUSLE, etc. Most areas are forested (which
have been cut down) with agricultural lands.

Any high-level suggestions??

Best,
Tom

--