[GRASS-user] Global overview of GRASS HPC resources/installations ?

Laura Poggio laura.poggio at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:40:19 PDT 2018

Hi Massi,
I can see we live in a quite different "computational" world :-)
I will try to further answer your questions below. I do agree completely
that if you have access to a good HPC than cloud providers are probably not
so needed. If you have a good infrastructure that fits (and even goes
beyond) your needs and it is well maintained. I also think that from the
point of view of setting up GRASS the two approaches are not so different.
And it will be interesting to see the development and comparison of the
different set-ups.

Laura

On 24 May 2018 at 12:12, Massi Alvioli <nocharge at gmail.com> wrote:

> even if you can tile-up your problem - which probably covers 95% of
> the parallelization one can do in GRASS - you still have

the problem instantiate the the cloud machines,

Scriptable: once the instance template is ready it takes few seconds to
launch the machines (even hundreds of them)

copying data to the multiple instances, gather back the results and
> patching them into your final results - the order of last two steps is
> your choice - and

This is where I am still exploring the most efficient solution. There are
storage options to avoid or reduce the needs to copy the data to/from the
instances

> I expect all of these operations to be much slower going through the cloud
> than in any other
> architecture.

The overall processing time is what matters, from importing initial
> data to having the final result available.

You are right. However I think it depends if the larger data are on own
premises or online (e.g. remote sensing images). For example for me it is
much faster to download an image on a online instance, especially when the
files are already stored on the provider servers.

> Of course, if the cloud is the only viable possibility of having
> multiple cores, there is no way out. It is also true that everybody
> owns a couple of desktop machines with a few tens of computing cores
> overall ..

To set up a cluster with spare desktops you need to follow IT policies and
sometimes they are not so easy to adapt. In my opinion, it is also not so
easy  to set up a proper cluster, with shared storage, backup, faster net
connections, etc.