[GRASS-user] partial vector copy to smaller territory

Frank David frank.david at geophom.fr
Mon Nov 5 05:23:55 PST 2018

Le 02/11/2018 à 22:27, Markus Metz a écrit :

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 6:32 PM Frank David <frank.david at geophom.fr
> <mailto:frank.david at geophom.fr>> wrote:
> >
> > Le 02/11/2018 à 14:43, Markus Metz a écrit :
> >

> > On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:58 AM Frank David <frank.david at geophom.fr
> <mailto:frank.david at geophom.fr>> wrote:
> > >
> > > Le 31/10/2018 à 20:57, Markus Metz a écrit :
> > >
> > > Hi Frank,

> area (I guess because of topology). I do the same with Qgis from a
> shape in less than 10 minutes (but with several operations)... it's
> may be a bad idea to have a so heavy vector map in Grass...
> > >
> > > this kind of operation could be much faster in latest GRASS 7.4
> than in any previous versions. Which GRASS version are you using?
> > >
> > > Hello Markus,
> > >
> > > I'm using 7.4.1 on debian9
> > >
> > > But my grass db folder  is on a small server (Synology NAS), so
> may be the network makes slow down the operation ?
> >
> > This is possible, but it should not slow it down that much: 10 min
> vs 1 hour
> >
> > Can you provide a link to the vector from which you want to extract
> a small area, and the command you used to extract a small area? Maybe
> there is scope for optimization.
> >
> > Markus,
> >
> > The data is CorineLandCover for france. You can download 400mo here
> > https://we.tl/t-tvldlmkVw3
> >
> > First I have imported the shape in PERMANENT
> >
> > and I do : v.extract --verbose input=CLC12_FR_RGF at PERMANENT
> where=CODE_12 IN (111,112,131,311,312,313,324) output=clc12
> >
> > Hope it helps you...
>
> import of the shapefile with v.in.ogr takes here 5 minutes
> v.extract takes here 27 seconds instead of 1 hour
>
> "here" means a laptop with Intel Core i7 4th generation and standard
> SATA SSD, i.e. no fancy new high-speed system at all.
>
> I am afraid this does not help you. What could take long is writing
> attributes, depending on the database connection. I am using the
> default sqlite database.
>
> You could use top to check if v.extract is running at 100%.

Hello Markus,

Thank you for your help.

I'm trying to do again the operation on local machine. I want fisrt,
create a vector with only selected data (on full France area). But I've
met a problem with v.extract.

v.extract --overwrite --verbose input=CLC12_FR_RGF at PERMANENT type=area
where=CODE_12 IN (111,112,121,311,312,313,324)
output=CLC12_FR_RGF_BOISBATI at PERMANENT
DBMI-DBF erreur de pilote :
SQL parser error (syntax error, unexpected NAME processing
'IN') in statement:
SELECT cat FROM CLC12_FR_RGF WHERE CODE_12 IN
(111,112,121,311,312,313,324)
Unable to open cursor.
DBMI-DBF erreur de pilote :
SQL parser error (syntax error, unexpected NAME processing
'IN') in statement:
SELECT cat FROM CLC12_FR_RGF WHERE CODE_12 IN
(111,112,121,311,312,313,324)
Unable to open cursor.
ERROR: Unable select records from table <CLC12_FR_RGF>

It looks that grass does not recognized "IN" sql condition. If I force
layer=-1, it runs bur the output vector is the same as input one.

Am I wrong somewhere ? I use Grass 7.4.2 on debian9.

Thank you for your help.

Frank