[GRASS-user] v.colors usage [UPDATE]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 5 15:02:28 PST 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> v.colors -c map=stations use=attr column=site_nbr rgb_col=bin_col --o
> Writing color rules...
> ERROR: Data type of RGB column <bin_col> must be char
>
>  Where have I made the syntactical mistake?

   I slightly modified the command to use a different column:
> v.colors -c map=stations use=attr column=howmany rgb_col=bin_col --o
Writing color rules...
ERROR: Data type of RGB column <bin_col> must be char

Checking that grass saw the postgres table:
> db.connect -p
driver: pg
database: willamette-river-hg
schema:
group:

Yep, it does.

Looking at the table structure:

> db.describe table=stations
table:stations
insert:?
delete:?
ncols:10
nrows:82

column:howmany
type:INTEGER
len:4
scale:0
precision:0
default:
nullok:yes
select:?
update:?

column:bin_col
type:CHARACTER
len:12
scale:0
precision:0
default:
nullok:yes
select:?
update:?

   So, why does grass tell me the bin_col column needs to be CHAR when it is
(unless grass differentiates between char and CHARACTER.)

Rich