[GRASS-user] v.colors usage

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 05:55:08 PST 2018

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, Markus Metz wrote:
>
> > I suggested v.db.droptable, not db.droptable. db.* commands work on
> > databases whereas v.* commands work on vectors. Thus you need to use
> > v.db.connect, not db.connect, to connect a table to a vector, e.g.:
> >
> > v.db.connect map=stations driver=pg database="willamette-river-hg"
> > table=stations layer=1
>
> Markus M,
>
>    Okay. Another step in my learning to use postgres databases with grass
> rther than the default.
>
>    I don't know if this makes a difference, but the stations table has the
> same name in both databases. The grass map attribute table came from the
> postgres table. The other maps were developed in grass and I used db.copy
> with a name change to insert them in the postgres database.
>
>    I'll use v.db.connect and v.db.droptable now.

a short summary (others may have similar problems).

db.connect sets the default database connection for subsequently created
vector maps, already existing vector maps are not affected

v.db.connect sets the table and database connection for a given, existing
vector. The default database connection can be overridden with the driver=
and database= options

Hope that makes it clearer

Markus M